Saturday, March 17, 2012

Crock Pot Corned Beef



Oh yeah... have I mentioned I am Irish? ☺

I had a bunch of friends over on Saturday... I was going to BBQ, but it SNOWED!!! So, plans changed and I decided to make corned beef. My husband and I love it and figured everyone else does too! Not one of our friends had ever even tasted it before! I was amazed. They really liked it and I am glad I could bring a bit of my family traditions into their lives.

So... if you are one of these people who has never had corned beef... make it for your family for St. Patties! You won't be sorry it is great.

Also, here is a tip to get a really great deal on corned beef from my previous post. Price matching.

Crock Pot Corned Beef


  • 1 corned beef brisket (about 1/2 lb per person)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup beer (you can leave it out if you don't like to use beer for cooking)
  • Salt and pepper
  • 4 red or gold potatoes, quartered
  • 1 white onion quartered
  • 1 tbsp garlic minced
  • 4 carrots cut into large pieces
  • 1 head white cabbage
Corned beef is already seasoned so you don't need to add much to it.
Take corned beef out of package and pat dry, put it in the crock pot with the cup of water and the seasoning packet that comes with it.
Add the onion and a bit of salt and pepper as well as the beer that add a great flavor to the juices.
Cook on low for 8-10 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high.
When there is an hour and a half left on low or an hour on high, add potatoes and carrots.
When Corned beef is done, take it out and let it rest for 20 minutes.
During the 20 minutes add the cabbage cut into large chunks and let it wilt in the juice with the veggies. You want it soft but not soggy.
Slice corned beef against the grain and serve with veggies and broth over the top.

7 comments:

  1. I always make corned beef, cabbage and potatoes for my fam on St. Paddy's day too! I love to stick it all in the crock pot and let it do it's thing. So tasty, since I don't eat meat anymore (long story, health reasons), I make some tempeh for me and add some of the corned beef seasonings to it. Almost :) like the real thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog! I am a teacher and I sure can use all the easy meal planning ideas I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the Hive! This looks so easy and delicious...can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there! I've been a follower of yours for a while - was just cruising through your blog looking for simple dinner recipes (really NOT feeling like cooking tonight! Might make some "meaty mac and cheese" ;)

    Anyway - this recipe - my husband will THANK you for it!!! He's been asking me to make corned beef and cabbage for ages, and well, I had no idea what it was, LOL. I'll be bookmarking this and hopefully making it some day soon - I love crockpot cooking!

    Kristin
    Born 2 Be Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. What kind of beer do you normally use? And thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can use any sort of beer. I used an IPA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love doing corned beef in the crockpot! We love Reuben sandwiches...and it gets so tender in the crockpot! I will try this too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails